Pages

Friday 3 February 2012

Making Small Talk

Everyday that I work, I engage in small talk with my customers. Most of which relates to the weather that day, what school I attend and the program I'm studying. Although these conversations become a tad repetitive, it never ceases to amaze me how little the general public knows about the marketing and advertising industry.  Most people I talk to just politely smile and say "oh well that's good", basing their entire opinion on the fact that it sounds interesting and a little more on the impressive side when compared to my current position, as cashier for a clothing store.  When most people hear that I'm studying marketing and advertising they assume I'll become a car saleswoman, when in fact there are so many great opportunities for me. The career opportunities I could have are endless, ranging anywhere from working in a well known agency in a big city, or doing social media and web design from the comfort of my own home.  Now, the only question I can't answer  when striking up friendly conversation, is what area I want to pursue to find my career. But like I tell everyone who asks me that, I have more then enough time to explore my options. And I'm going to enjoy every aspect of my journey.

1 comment:

  1. Carly, I'm in complete agreement with you in that the opportunities presented before marketing graduates are fairly endless. Although I must admit that I'm a bit surprised people would base their opinion of your potential success simply because you work in a retail store. Next time somebody tells you "oh, well that's good" just smile and reply with 'I'm like the Einstein of advertising, he worked in the patent office, I work in a retail store.'

    ReplyDelete