Pages

Sunday 29 January 2012

Changing Perspectives


For years, I have been viewing commercials from the consumer side of marketing and advertising. Whether I was listening to the radio in my car, watching television, or scrolling the Internet, I was subjected to advertisements. At the time, I ever really noticed or paid to much attention to them. I use to see commercials as annoying breaks of time in-between the activities that were important to me at the moment.

Now after a few years of studying this industry and the influence it has on purchasing behaviours, my attention level for commercials has greatly increased. I evolved from the channel changer and commercial muter, into a seasoned critic. I find myself analyzing commercials, subconsciously judging their message and overall impact. Deciding if they were what I believe to be a successful campaign, or an advertising fail.

I strongly feel that my intuitive change from blind consumer into an investigating critic is just one stage in my industry professional makeover. It’s small changes in the way I’m thinking that prove to me that I am growing closer to the industry expert I hope to be. It just makes me wonder that when I reach that status, if commercials will hold any consumer appeal to me at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment